Sign In  |  Register  |  About San Anselmo  |  Contact Us

San Anselmo, CA
July 20, 2024 5:01pm
7-Day Forecast | Traffic
  • Search Hotels in San Anselmo

  • ROOMS:

San Anselmo Demographics

Share |
Featured Story
San Anselmo demographics

While San Anselmo is small, its demographics reveal a lot about the community and the lifestyle of the people who live there. According to the 2010 Census Bureau, 12,336 people live in San Anselmo, which shows a slight decrease in the population when compared with the 12,378 inhabitants recorded in the 2000 Census. The Census also reports that the majority of the town is female, making up 53 percent of the residents and the median age for all residents is 44.9 years old, which is up from 41.3 in 2000. San Angelo residents’ racial demographics are as follows.

  • White — 86.4%
  • Hispanic or Latino — 5.8%
  • Asian — 3.5%
  • Two or more races — 2.7%
  • Black or African American — 0.9%                                            
  • American Indian and Alaska Native — 0.2%
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander — 0.2%
  • Some other race — 0.3%                                            

Only 88 percent of San Anselmo’s population were born here. The remaining 12 percent of San Anselmo residents are either born in other countries, naturalized citizens or non-citizens living in town. These residents help bring diversity to the town, while the high education of the town helps establish a high quality of life for its residents.  

Of all residents 25 years old and up, 69.9 percent have at least their high school diploma, while 59.7 percent have at least a bachelor’s degree and 20.6 percent have a graduate or professional degree. While the percentage of residents that are high school graduates is actually lower than the state percentage of 80.6, the percentage of those who hold higher degrees is more than double what they are for the entire state.

A higher level of education often means that the types of jobs that residents hold will tend to be in a professional field, which is true for San Anselmo’s residents. Of residents that are 16 and older with jobs, 57.4 percent are in a management or professional position. The field with the next highest number of residents is sales and office jobs with 21.2 percent of San Anselmo residents. Self-employed workers follow with 16.1 percent of the population, which is a decrease from the 22.4 percent of residents who were self-employed in 2000. Other jobs held by residents are construction, extraction and maintenance with 7.1 percent of the population and production, transportation and material moving with 4.2 percent.

Between 2000 and 2010, the Census recorded an increase in the amount of residents with degrees, and with that education increase, there came an increase in the median income level of San Anselmo. The median household income rose from $71,488 to $92,760 in those 10 years with the average size of the household rising only marginally. In addition to a rise in household incomes, incomes for families also rose, from a median of $86,528 to $113,108. The average income of each working resident also increased, from $41,977 to $53,044. However, while the average income increased for San Anselmo residents, so did the number of those living in poverty. In 2000, 5.1 percent of residents were below the poverty line, while in 2010, 7.2 percent of residents were considered to be living in poverty. 

Copyright © 2010-2024 & California Media Partners, LLC. All rights reserved.